Surah Al-Fatiha with English and Arabic:
|In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
||بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيمِ
|Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds;
||الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِينَ
|Most Gracious, Most Merciful;
|Master of the Day of Judgment.
||مَالِكِ يَوْمِ الدِّينِ
|Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.
||إِيَّاكَ نَعْبُدُ وَإِيَّاكَ نَسْتَعِينُ
|Show us the straight way,
||اهْدِنَا الصِّرَاطَ الْمُسْتَقِيمَ
|The way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray.
||صِرَاطَ الَّذِينَ أَنْعَمْتَ عَلَيْهِمْ غَيْرِ الْمَغْضُوبِ عَلَيْهِمْ وَلَا الضَّالِّينَ
Surah Al-Fatiha – Main Theme, Background, Virtues, Relevant Hadith and Much More:
This article highlights the significance of Chapter Al-Fatiha in the religion, including its benefits and Wazifa.
|No. of Verses
|No. of Words
|No. of Letters
|No. of Rukus
There are 114 chapters in Quran Majeed. Surah Fatiha is a Makki chapter that consists of a total of 7 verses, 24 words and 140 letters.
However, Its seven verses are about guidance, mercy of Allah and His lordship.
Moreover, this Surah plays an important role in the performance of prayer. The first Surah that is to be recited in all the raka’ats is Surah Al-Fatiha.
It is the 1st Surah of this Holy Quran and therefore, marks the beginning. It is also known by the name ‘The Key’, ‘Opening of the Book’, ‘Mother of the Book’, ‘Surah of Prayer’ and ‘Surah of Cure’.
Background of Surah Al-Fatiha:
According to many other people, Surah Al-Fatiha is a Madani Surah which means that this Surah was revealed in Madina.
However, according to Abdullah Ibn Abbas and some more people, it was revealed in Makkah. That is the reason why it is called as a Makki Surah.
But some still believe that it was revealed in both Makkah and Madina.
In fact, the first Surah that was revealed onto the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H) included a few verses of Surah Alaq. In most of the narration, it is said that Surah Fatiha was the first complete Surah that was revealed on the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H).
Surah Fatiha Main Theme:
It summarizes the fundamental principles of Islam that are mentioned in the Holy Quran.
Moreover, prayer is the only aspect of worship which helps a person to fulfill all his needs and requirements.
Hadith Related to Surah Fatiha:
The following Hadith is taken from the collection of Musnad Ahmad:
“I was praying when the Prophet called me, so I did not answer him until I finished the prayer. I then went to him and he said, What prevented you from coming?
I said, ‘O Messenger of Allah! I was praying.’
He said, Didn’t Allah say,
O you who believe! Answer Allah (by obeying Him) and (His) Messenger when he calls you to that which gives you life.
He then said,
“I will teach you the greatest Surah in the Qur’an before you leave the Masjid (Mosque).”
He held my hand and when he was about to leave the Masjid, I said, `O Messenger of Allah! You said: I will teach you the greatest Surah in the Qur’an.’
He said, Yes.
Al-Hamdu lillahi Rabbil-`Alamin,
It is the seven repeated (verses) and the Glorious Qur’an that I was given.”
Another Hadith is reported from the collection of Imam Bukhari that the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H) said:
“If anyone observes prayer in which he does not recite Umm al-Qur’an, it is deficient [he said this three times] and not complete.”
Ibn Abbas is also reported to have said that:
While Jibril (Gabriel) was sitting with the Messenger of Allah (saw), he heard a sound above him. He lifted his head, and said: “This is a gate which has been opened in heaven today. It was never opened before.” Then an angel descended through it, he said: “This is an angel who has come down to earth. He never came down before.” He sent greetings and said: “Rejoice with two lights given to you. Such lights were not given to any Prophet before you. These (lights) are: Fatihah-til-Kitab (Surat Al-Fatihah), and the concluding Ayat of Surat Al-Baqarah. You will never recite a word from them without being given the blessings it contains.” (Sahih Muslim)
The following is reported by Ubbay Bin Kaab:
“The Messenger of Allah (saw) said: ‘Allah, the Mighty and Sublime, did not reveal in the Tawrah or the Injil anything like Umm Al-Quran (Al-Fatihah), which is the seven oft-recited, and (Allah said) it is divided between Myself and My slave will have what he asked for.” (Sunan Al-Nisa)
Virtues of Surah Al-Fatiha:
- Surah Fatiha is the greatest Surah as it is said by the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H) that “Shall I not teach you the greatest Surah in the Quran before you leave the Masjid.”
- Surah Al-Fatiha was revealed with nothing similar to the previous four books revealed to the other Prophets. This means that there was nothing similar to this Surah that was ever revealed.
- The Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H) was granted with two lights which were not given to the Prophets before Him. Surah Al-Fatiha is the first light whereas the last two verses of Surah Al-Baqarah is the second light.
- Reciting Surah Fatiha provides rehabilitation for all types of diseases.
Lessons and Guidance:
- This Surah is the essence of the Holy Quran.
- This Surah describes the actions of the heart that include sincerity and reliance.
- It is one of the most essential parts of the prayer and it should be recited in all the rakaats else the prayer would be incomplete.
- Allah granted the gift of prayer as a favor for the Ummah of his beloved Messenger, Hazrat Muhammad (S.A.W).
- In Bukhari, it is mentioned that whosoever recites this Surah and says Ameen along with the angels, then all his sins which he committed in the past will be forgiven.
- From this Surah we learn that the one who recites includes Asma-e-Husna or the names of Allah before making his supplication gets closer to Allah.
Benefits of Reciting Surah Al-Fatiha:
- If this Surah is recited 70 times, then it will remove all types of pain a person is suffering from.
- Place the hand on the forehead of a person who is sick and recite this Surah 7 or 70 times for curing him.
- Apart from that, Surah Al-Fatiha also works for the purpose of rehabilitation from all the physical and spiritual ailments.
Surah Al-Fatiha Wazifa for The Fulfillment of Hajat:
This is a very powerful Wazifa for the fulfillment of Hajat. This Wazifa is of 21 days. This Wazifa should be started from Friday. If you have made a mistake in between then you have to start it again on Friday only.
For performing this Wazifa, there are some conditions. They are that, the time and place should be same. Clothes should be same and make sure that no one touches you clothes. This means that you cannot wash them for 21 days. So keep them in a separate place.
Make sure that you are alone in the room while performing this Wazifa and no one disturbs you. This will reduce the chances of the occurrence of a mistake. Also, you cannot talk while doing this Wazifa.
This Wazifa should be performed for 21 consecutive days. Recite Darood 11 times before and after the prayer.
This Wazifa should only be performed if the Hajat is a very difficult one. Please use another Wazifa if you have a small Hajat.
Below are mentioned the steps of performing the Wazifa:
- Perform a two rakaats of Nafl prayer for Hajat.
- After the Hajat prayer, recite Surah Al-Fatiha.
- Make sure you recite Darood 11 times before and after Surah Al-Fatiha.
- Complete Bismillah should be recited every time with Surah Al-Fatiha.
Below are the number of times mentioned that should be recited on each day respectively:
- Friday: 1
- Saturday: 30
- Sunday: 8
- Monday: 40
- Tuesday: 4
- Wednesday: 5
- Thursday: 200
- Friday: 2
- Saturday: 70
- Sunday: 10
- Monday: 50
- Tuesday: 20
- Wednesday: 6
- Thursday: 60
- Friday: 400
- Saturday: 90
- Sunday: 9
- Monday: 100
- Tuesday: 700
- Wednesday: 1000
- Thursday: 800
So this was the number which is to be recited every day after performing the two rakaats of Nafl prayer for the fulfillment of Hajat. This wazifa should only be recited after the Isha prayer.
Finally, The above information shows the importance reciting Surah Al-Fatiha along with its immense importance. What else could be more than being a light that was granted only to the Holy Prophet (P.B.U.H). This light is also known to us and it is Surah Al-Fatiha.
So why recognize it as an ordinary Surah. This might be of great benefit in the Hereafter if you keep reciting it on a daily basis.